It is a face.... and mustache that is currently etched in my mind and will not let me go. She was old and "butch". (I am not trying to be nasty.. she really was!) She was our "welcome" to the women's work out correctional facility tonight at BJU. And although she did in reality extend grace tonight, that was not the feeling that was stuck in the air when we were there. Maybe that feeling hit me hard tonight because it was so out of the ordinary for me. I am much more accustom to pleasant faces... smiling... hi, how are you? We had broken a RULE regarding guests and that clearly did not settle well with this woman. She was going to make sure we knew that and she pulled out the rule book to prove it! I looked up from my leg presses to see her walking towards Lauren with a book opened up and she was poised ready to read. I just watched. I also watched 4 ladies on the corner mat "exercising" and gabbing like a group of chickens laying around sharing the latest news about eggs. They were really fun to watch. All 4 of them laying on their backs with their legs up on the wall. Not sure what they were doing, but they were exercising. They were laughing and enjoying one another in their own corner of the world. There was a 5th lady with them sitting in the corner with very cool red sneakers on - and she just smiled and held onto her purse watching. She may have already worked out and was waiting for a ride home. Not sure. It was an interesting night. I kept thinking how much I wanted to break free from that room tonight. I was angry... critical of the system... and marveled at how one woman can change the entire "feel" of a room. She was standing with her rules, all black and white and neatly displayed in her book. Even the weight room is run by the rules, and don't you forget it!
I walked to the car with Lauren thankful she is free from all that.
No comments:
Post a Comment