Saturday, May 3, 2008

On being perfect...

Perfect - entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings.
Perfect - to make flawless or faultless.
I , for one think this word should only be applied to things like trees, flowers, mountains, the ocean and it's tide coming in and out, the rose bloom in all it's glory, the taste of a fine wine or the smell of steak cooking on the grill. These things can be said to be "perfect".
People... can people be perfect? Perfect in whose eyes? Family... friends...God's eyes?
What a terrible challenge to even try to gain perfection. I am exhausted thinking about it.
Always, you would have to right.
Never wrong or unsure of yourself.
Always, you would want to look like you just walked out of a magazine...wearing the "right" clothes, put together with the "right" make-up and of course acting appropriately in all situations. And who says what is "right" anyway! There would be NO room for discouragement, anger, complaining, depression, feeling sorry for myself, or wanting to have a pity party and just be selfish. I could not be messy - sloppy - run around like I do on most Saturdays without make-up and my favorite baggy jeans, baseball cap and shirt hanging out as I work in the yard.
I am confident that perfection has a companion.
Loneliness.
I would be so "put together" that I would not need a friend to encourage me or challenge me to grow (I would do that all on my own), I would not need a spouse to love me (that would be selfish), I would not have the freedom to "feel" what is going on in my heart, and thus learn and grow emotionally. Yep - I would be a machine, void of feelings and untouched by other humans. I would not need their touch, although I may ache for it.
I desire to be "not perfect"....
I am me.
I love the best that I can and that is not perfectly.
I embrace all my emotions and feelings... I fall apart and let my friends pick me up. I cry. I weep. I get angry and I laugh. I live life and even fall down into a pit from time to time and climb back out... and that does not look pretty. I don't try to be perfect. I try to be real. I give love . I let others see my blemishes and imperfections, and give them a challenge to love me in return.

Yes - perfect is not for people. It is for wine and food.

1 comment:

Mind Madam said...

With all that you are, you are perfectly KC, the person I am drawn to for your sense of humor (through it all) and your heart as big as South Carolina and parts of Northern Virginia!! You are authentic!

Love to you.