Saturday, October 11, 2008

I want to be a Ragamuffin...

"Lord Jesus, I put my fears aside today and open my heart to you in trust." I just read these words in the book, The Ragamuffin Gospel, by Brennan Manning. It has taken me a long time to read through this book. His words cut deeply - they are not fluff. I am still reading it and will more than likely read it again and again, but I know that I want to be a Ragamuffin.
  • Ragamuffins are simple, direct and honest.
  • They are not saints, but they seek spiritual growth.
  • They accept counsel and constructive criticism with ease.
  • They stumble often, but they do not spend endless hours in self-recrimination.
  • They repent quickly.
  • They offer their broken moments to God.
  • Long prayers and big words do not suit ragamuffins.
  • The worshiping ragamuffin will not be mummified in middle age by living in the past and refusing to attend to the present.
  • God's name is Mercy, for the Ragamuffin.
Yes, I want to be a Ragamuffin kind of gal. It is a journey. I am trusting. I am walking.

2 comments:

Yellow bobby pins said...

Ah, I love that part about not being "mummified" in middle age! There's no chance of that with you. I love this post. It's a true reflection of your heart.

Chrystie said...

Oh, I need to go back and read this book again. Read it several years ago...I think I put it down halfway through it. It was probably just not my time. I particularly liked:

They are not saints, but they seek spiritual growth.
They accept counsel and constructive criticism with ease.
They stumble often, but they do not spend endless hours in self-recrimination.
They repent quickly.
They offer their broken moments to God.
The worshiping ragamuffin will not be mummified in middle age by living in the past and refusing to attend to the present.

I think you have inspired me to pull this book back out!