I just recently had the opportunity to hear from some very special people in my life. It was my 50th birthday and my friend Lauren put together a book full of notes and cards from friends that have been in my life since I was in my 20's. Needless to say, it was a bit overwhelming to read through it. I found myself on the verge of crying before I even opened the book to read each one. There were tears and a flood full of memories that came racing back as I read all of their words. It is good to remember.
Remembering where I was as a young professional woman living alone in Maryland with virtually no friends and living most weekends talking to no one and crying tears of loneliness each night as I went off to sleep.
Remembering Carolyn and seeing something about her that I had never seen before. Spiritually, she was alive, and I wanted what she had.
Remembering sitting in church (they met at a school and I thought how odd that was) and having many "wow" moments as I heard Mike Minter talk through scripture and it actually made sense to me.
Remembering feeling like I had spiritually woken up. I was changed. It was good.
Remembering being single until I was 38, and although there was a season of struggling with that, I loved my life. I loved my friends and the journey I was on.
Remembering Jean and Dawn and all we lived through together as roommates. We laughed and cried from the bottom of our transparent hearts.
Remembering Sharry and how much I miss her and her zest for life!
Remember all the single women that came in and out of my life - as we walked together and I shared with them the best way I knew how to live... day by day... in the moment.
Remembering 3 little girls.. Jill, Jodi and Karen. Now they are grown women of 30, 29 and 27.
Remembering Susan Wells and T7E. She was bound up and together we were able to set her free to be who she was, and not who everyone thought she should be.
People were a part of my journey. Now, so many of them are tightly woven into my very being... a part of me. They have loved me and poured into me, and me into them.
I remember and there is a sense of belonging and satisfaction.
I remember, but I don't want that book of memories to be the end.
So, I keep walking trusting there are more memories to make and people to touch and love.... and another book to fill up.
No comments:
Post a Comment